Thursday, October 1, 2015

October's Sponsor of the Month: Dunbar Physio

Plantar fasciitis, iliotibial band syndrome, Achilles tendonitis, shin splints…  A typical runner will become acquainted with one of these injuries, eventually — it’s just a matter of time. It’s hard to reconcile the notion that we were “born to run” with the outrageously high incidence of repetitive strain injuries afflicting the average road runner [1]. When running is such a huge component of triathlon training, how are we supposed to avoid injury, and what should we do after injury occurs?

Luckily for the members of the UBC Triathlon Club, we can turn to one of our sponsors, Dunbar Physio, in our moment of need. Dunbar Physio has been serving the community since 1984, and has been a generous sponsor of the club for 5 years. Located on West 41st Ave just east of Dunbar St, it’s a quick hop away from the UBC campus. Best of all, club members get 20% off regular private fees, three times per calendar year.

Dunbar Physio is located at 3540 West 41st Ave, just west of Dunbar St.

I went in for an appointment recently to consult the experts on the cause of some knee pain that I suspected to be related to my IT bands. The pain had thrown my training plan completely off the rails, and I was worried that I wouldn’t be prepared for race day. My appointment was with Jonathan, who took a detailed history of my injury, assessed my running stride, and walked me through the anatomy of the lower leg before narrowing down the possible causes of the pain. He prescribed me a handful of exercises to correct for my imbalances in flexibility and balance, and also suggested a new technique of myofascial release therapy inspired by the practice of cupping.

The team has benefitted from Dunbar Physio's generous support for the past 5 years.

I left the office with a sense of control over my injury, ready to do my exercises and hit the road. The next time you’re sidelined with a sports injury, look to the expertise of the trained physiotherapists of Dunbar Physio. They’ll get you back to racing in no time. 



No comments: